Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gakk Gakk Gakk and Eating Updates

Lucia with Mormor in Norway in March with her favorite book. See the red button? That's the magic one.


Lucia's favorite book in the whole world is her duck book. Purchased in Norway by Nina? Mormor? She absolutely is obsessed with pushing the button that makes the quacking sound -- which is Norwegian is gakk gakk gakk. I don't know what the book says, other than first there's 5 small ducks, then 4, then 3 and so on and so forth. But don't worry, they didn't get eaten by snapping turtles and they reconvene at the end. I always make up a story about where they went, as I'm still learning Norwegian. Typically the ducks veer off to go the mall, of course.

So anyway. I changed Little Miss this morning and handed her a small rubber ducky to play with while I changed her, since without a toy up there, it turns into a wrestling match. She said, "gakk gakk gakk." I immediately said, "That's right! Gakk gakk gakk!" Then I told Pete. He didn't believe me, but when he changed her later she did the same thing. Then in the car when we were talking about it, I said Gakk and she repeated it!

She may be starting to talk and soo close to walking, but eating wise she continues to eat like a 5 month old. Sigh. We've expanded her palette to bananas, peaches, avocado, applesauce and bangoes (banana and mango). But that's about all she wants. No sweet potatoes. No prunes. Carrots only if you hide them in something else. Mind you, other kids her age are eating things like chicken. We can't seem to move past the basics. I'm going to talk to the pediatrician about it. She's gaining weight like a champ, but I'm still worried.

I had a feeling she was going to be this way when she was so attached to the Nuk bottle. Remember -- FIVE lactation consultants, countless hours of me crying my eyes out, and NOPE, she continued to refuse the breast. I should known then she was going to be a picky eater. Sigh.

I guess she's like all other kids; advanced in some ways, notsomuch in others.

3 comments:

Mattias said...

I think Lucia is very advanced! Talking (or at least repeating known words), crawling, standing on her own etc etc. She is doing great!

Hope we get to see you guys sometime soon!

Unknown said...

don't worry Sadye is still eating the "baby foods" and as long as they are growing, healthy and happy, it is all good. Sadye tries to say "paddycake" and it comes out "addyca", but at least she is trying :) They are very cute at this age.

Robin said...

"I guess she's like all other kids; advanced in some ways, notsomuch in others."

word

We sing a song about 5 little ducks, too. I wonder if it's the same one. "Five little ducks went out to play. Over the hill and far away. When the mommy duck said, 'quack, quack, quack,' four little ducks came waddling back." It goes on like that till no ducks come back. Then the daddy duck says, "QUACK, QUACK, QUACK." Then 5 little ducks came waddling back. :)