Sunday, June 5, 2011

All Things Poo-sidered

Lucia seems to be obsessed with poop lately. Obsessed. She wants to see it and talk about it a lot. We are sure this is a sign she's ready to potty train, and we have it on our calendars 2 weeks from this weekend to do the 3-day potty training thing. We'll start Saturday morning and hope by the time I go to work Monday she'll have the hang of it.

In the meanwhile, we continue to have scenes like tonight, where she walked out of her room and proclaimed, "Mommy I have a big poop!" And in her hand, she held that same poop, taken out of her diaper. Once we stopped gagging over it and kinda freaking out about the potential contamination, I thought it was absolutely hilarious and a rite of passage. Both Pete and I have poo-related stories from our childhood (him = Poocasso, me = helpfully putting it in a drawer to avoid making the potty dirty), so I thought it was so funny. Pete did not. But that's OK. We got it cleaned up and afterwards I told Lucia to make sure she didn't do that again; if she wanted her diaper changed she could tell me.

I've heard potty training can open a whole 'nother set of challenges with accidents and constantly having to ask if she has to go and lots of false alarms, but none of those sound worse than handling a giant piece of poo.

No comments: