Lucia and I went to see Uncle Josh yesterday; we decided that despite the heat (92 degrees) we'd brave the Rancho San Antonio Open Space Reserve and Deer Hollow Farm. I may have forgotten that it's a mile hike (mostly unshaded) to get to the farm. Yet we soldiered on. We slathered Lucia in sunblock and a hat and made it. The farm was cute, but Lucia is typically meh about animals unless she can snuggle with them. She repeatedly asked if she could go hug the newborn baby goats (kids, as they are called) and I was tempted to get in there too, they were beyond cute, almost like puppies, all wobbly and fuzzy. Anyway, she was super meh about the farm. On the walk back, we saw some kids playing in the creek and man, as hot as we were, that looked like a fine idea. We soaked our feet, and Lucia made friends with Kaitlin and Tyler. Kaitlin kept trying to hold her hand, and Lucia was hellbent on finding sticks to poke in the mud. When we asked if she was ready to go, she said "but we're best friends, Mom." Which was super cute; I've never seen her be so interested in a little girl before. They seemed to really gel. Now I'm kicking myself for not asking where they live: I figured since we were so far from Oakland that there's no way it was near us, meaning there was not a good likelihood of having a future playdate. In hindsight, that was pretty presumptive.
ANYWAY. Another forehead-slapping Saturday with me wondering why I try to do anything organized, when a simple creek, mud, sticks and a friendly little girl made Lucia's day. Afterwards we drove around trying to find one of those totally rad yogurt places, but settled on the high-end grocery store for pints of sorbet and associated treats to cool off/recover from the heat. Fun Saturday!
No comments:
Post a Comment