Saturday, May 4, 2013

One Month Old

Can't believe it, but Espen is one month old today. Well, really if I think back to the last time I slept more than a few hours, yes, it does feel like a very long time ago.

He's about 9.5 lbs now; we went to the lactation consultant on Wednesday and Thursday this week and discovered he was gaining at twice the normal rate, and after reading in our baby books, it turns out we were overfeeding him. Whoops. He was having stomach aches and we thought it was gas. Turns out he's just Thanksgiving-level stuffed. Noted, kid. We've cut back on the milk a bit, but I'll be honest, it's a tricky balance. Today I think he spent most of it hungry and I couldn't figure out what was wrong, until Pete came home and fed him three ounces and he settled right down. 

I know we've done this before, but man it's been a long time and we've forgotten a lot. 

Besides his girth, he's also showing developmental milestones in making more eye contact with us, lifting his head a lot, and cooing. The cooing is the best. He sounds so darn cute. He's also losing his hair, so his hairline looks a lot like Pete's and Farfar's. :) I wonder what color it will be when it grows back in? Strange. His eyes are still grey-blue but I think they're going to be blue. I need to look at Lucia's one-month-old pics to verify my hypothesis. 

We didn't have the best day here, on the one-month anniversary. Babies are a lot of work. But that's OK. We'll post more pictures tomorrow. 

No comments: