Sunday, February 5, 2012

What A Ride


Five years ago today, we began this journey. I always thought that marriage would be the end point; you work up to this when you are dating and BOOM, you're married, end of story. Truly, happily ever-freaking-after. 

Um yeah, I was wrong. What has surprised me the *most* about marriage is that sometimes, in the strangest of ways, it's like someone holding up a mirror and showing your flaws and imperfections. It's raw and real and wow, hard sometimes. 

But the depth of love, oh how it's grown. Before it was dizzying love with wow, this is the ONE kind of feeling and feeling so good to have found HIM, the one I've been saving my heart for. Here he is. And now, five years later, I feel like our love – how we hold each other in this world – has gotten richer and more flavorful and I dunno, just evolved. He's my best friend. He's the captain of my cheerleading team. He has held my hand and held me tight through this incredibly tough last year, promising me over and over we're in this together and we'll make it through. 

Tomorrow, as I get ready to go out to dinner and celebrate with him, I can't wait to bliss out and look into his eyes and remember those vows we said on the beach and the promise and hope they held, and the steadfast way they remain. 

I love you so much Peter Hansen. You are my home. 

No comments: