Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Free Ices

Lucia has recently become obsessed with having things JUST SO when she has a cup of water: "Can you get me water with free (three) ices? And check for baby ice?," she asks each time. Baby ice is little pieces of ice cubes that are left when you break ice cubes out of the trays (our fridge is old skool). Each time it has to be the same. Do not deviate or there will be hell to pay. 

So last night she gets up at 12:30 and says she's thirsty. She typically -- and thank god for this -- sleeps through the night, so this was kinda unusual. I stumble to the kitchen and she demands: I WAN FREE ICES. And I dunno, I just thought, you know what kid? The world is not going to end if you don't get three ice cubes in your water IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. So I gave her two instead. 

Little did I know, Lucia's world WAS about to end, as she proceeded to scream her head off for the next ohIdunno, 45-60 minutes straight? I kept tellng her that she had two choices: water with two ice cubes or go back to bed without water and she would just stammer and yell/sob, "I WAN FREE ICES. FREE ICES. FREE ICES. FREE ICES." She couldn't breathe she was sobbing so hard. At first I got really mad and stormed out of her room; I mean, dude. It's 1 a.m. and you're throwing a tantrum NOW? But then I came back in after Pete went in, picked her up, rocked her in our chair rubbed her back and hugged her. I explained that I understood she was mad, and it was OK to be mad, but three ices wasn't a choice right now but it might be tomorrow. And that I would hold her as long as she needed. I figured this is what she needed; extra compassion and some acknowledgement that she was having a tough time. 

Thirty minutes later with her continuing to sob and never-endingly yell/sob of I WAN FREE ICES Pete said it was time to let her cry it out. I hugged her and gave her the choice of water with two ice cubes or no water one more time. She started yelling again. I said, Ok Lucia, good night. 

She cried, yelled, screamed. Then finally, she quieted down. I thought she fell asleep but Pete thought that she was awake still. I tiptoed into her room and saw her laying on the floor, and started to grab a blanket to cover her up. But then up she sprang and announced excitedly: MOMMY? I'M AWAKE! I'M NOT CRYING ANYMORE! i'M HAPPY! CAN I HAVE SOME WATER WITH TWO ICES?" Completely baffled, I said of course. She drank some water, then happily said, Goodnight Mommy! Love you!

I do not understand age 3. One of my favorite bloggers wrote this yesterday, so at least I know we're not alone. 

1 comment:

Amy T. said...

That blog link about 3.5 year olds is hilarious, because it's true! Ohmahword!