Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mommy's Day


I love being your mom, I told Lucia about five times today. And it's true. I really do. There are some moments where I dream of ditching work, surprising her at school with an early pickup and having her run towards me with open arms. Again and again. We'd hold hands and having charming conversation over snacks at a cafe, then come home and she'd help me with dinner. We'd read books. She's squeeze my neck and hug me tight and go to bed without too much of a fight.

Life is messier than that, most days. Fortunately/unfortunately. Most nights have glimmers of that, mixed in with tantrums, a thousand NOs from her, and constant negotiation. As we are almost through age 3, I think I can speak for most moms when I say HOOBOY THESE ARE SOME CHALLENGING MONTHS, EH? 

But still, look at her. I mean. She's the greatest. I love being her mom. In the past year I've learned to prioritize and listen to myself much more, read my kid, and respond in a way that feels authentic to me, and less cookie-cutter and full of Shoulds. And for that, I am proud. 

No comments: