Sunday, August 24, 2008

We're One of THOSE households

We're one of those households that does not wear shoes in the house. You take them off upon entering. We've noticed our carpets are much cleaner this way and while it may be a hassle for occasional guests, we are big fans. Pete got me into this; when we were dating I'd put a fair amount of effort in picking out just the right shoe, only to have to take them off when hanging out at his apartment. I recently read a study that says that taking your shoes off prevents all kinds of bacteria and disgusting things from entering your home. Which is good. So I'm on board, and have now even made the maintenance man take off his shoes upon entering our place. No one gets off!

So anyway. The entryway carpets were NASTY. I mean, gray and just felt mangy and gross when you walked on them. So we rented a steam cleaner from the grocery store and Pete went to work. One of Pete's best traits is that he's extremely extremely thorough, so he spent about two hours on the entryway, hallway next to the bathroom, and outside the bathroom (from that unfortunate sewage issue last year on his birthday -- yes, he was standing in sewage in the bathtub and we couldn't get a hold of maintenance for several hours. Happy 35 Pete!).

Here's a little movie of him steam-cleaning away:


1 comment:

Matthew Celestine said...

I am very glad that you are one of THOSE households. It really does make a difference.

I have an whole blog about removing shoes in homes: Shoes Off at the Door, Please You might want to take a look.