I overheard a woman talking about her mom last night at the gym. Apparently her mom runs marathons, and she was going on and on about how amazing she was and how she often goes running with her mom. Her friend seemed really impressed.
I wanted to pipe up and say, marathons? Ha. My mom buried her first husband and her first born daughter and continues to approach life with grace, humor and gratitude. You want to know amazing? That's what my mom is. Marathons? HA. That's easy. You train, you run. My mom and our family never had the luxury of training for our adversities; it was pressing on in the moment.
And I think that's the thing that my mom is most known for. Her tenacity. As morbid and cloudy as it sounds; my mom's strength of character through heartbreakingly adverse times is well, unbelievable. She's taught me to always, ALWAYS, look at things with perspective. Always have faith that God is with you, knows you and has your back (even in the darkest of times).
She's taught me to pick myself back up when I get knocked down, and get back at it. You don't question the why me or how or IF you should recalibrate, you do it. Put your head down and get back to work. It's a strength that has buoyed me through tough times. When I became a mother, I realized how incredibly hard it must have been for her, so many times, to keep going and better -- not be bitter or broken. You know that parable about having boiling water change you? My mom embodies that story. She didn't have a choice; it's what she did and a true testament to her strength that that was the path she chose for her, for our family.
And that loyalty to fiercely defend her? That's something she has also taught me. Fiercely defend the loyalty of those closest to you. And her mom taught her. It's how we do things.
Happy Mother's Day Mom. I couldn't love you or appreciate you more.
2 comments:
what a great post. Here's to Moms and how they teach us most by the way they live their lives.
Absolutely Beautiful!
Post a Comment