Off we went. Lucia wore a $6 comfy dress I found on the sale rack at Target, with a long-sleeve T-shirt over it. Apparently Gilroy has bizarro weather, as it was 46 this morning and 97 when we left this afternoon. Seriously. I wore new sandals to get 'em nice and broken in.
On the way down, I realized I forgot my sunglasses, so we made a pit stop to Target and I ran in to get sunglasses for me and Lucia, bottles of water and maybe some peanut butter cookie Larabars for me. Maybe. I came out to the car with these for Lucia, and I don't think I've ever seen Pete so horrified. Dude, I said, they were only $1.78! He was not amused.
We arrived, FINALLY, despite Lucia whining almost the whole way, I'm hungry. I'm thirsty. When are we going to be theeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee? Off we go. I had packed a bag with a first-aid kit, plenty of snacks for us, a change of clothes, sunblock, hat, wipes, etc. etc. We paid and went in, but wait! We forgot the water! Pete made a dash back out to the car. THEN off we finally go. We headed to the carousel first. Lucia refused to ride on the horses, saying she was scared, so we rode on a bench the first time. Then she warmed up asked to get on a horse, and wanted me to get on a horse too. Fun!
We rode a few more rides, then it was time for the BBQ. Which was kinda a disaster. I was grumpy hungry, so once I had my plate full and sat down there wasn't much distracting me, but then ALL THE BEES. TRYING TO GRAB MY CHICKEN. Bees! Everywhere! I looked around, and it seemed like everyone else was not affected by this! What the what. So we tried to finish our food, but it was just kind of a disaster. We figured out they wanted chicken so we left a chicken bone with some scraps on it further down on the empty table as bait to keep them occupado while we ate. It kinda worked.
After "lunch" we decided to ride the train so we could see what else was in the park. Which was awesome and totally the highlight of the day, except for the fact that we could see we hadn't even seen a 1/4 of the park. So we started walking, and tried to get Lucia to sleep (no dice). We saw tons of cool stuff and Lucia played on the playground for forever as I broiled in the sun. We found an air-conditioned spot and cups of ice to help us cool down, but man it was hot. We found a waterfall area and hooboy was it refreshing. We surveyed what we still wanted to do and made a complete loop around the park. Lucia wanted to have her face painted, and I'm not sure why, but there was like ONE lady staffing the booth and pushy parents in front of us insisting on full-face painting (read: takes a zillion hours) but fine, we got it done. She got a unicorn on her cheek. Which Pete and I laughed about later, saying it looked like a dolphin with a pink wig on.
![]() |
| Pink-wigged dolphin picture to come |
We headed home as we all reached maximum exhaustion, and she and I slept on the way home. Overall, we learned some good lessons today:
- Lucia doesn't like our new minimally-toxic-as-possible-but-still-effective spray sunblock. Gah.
- Naps = mandatory. The plan for Disney World is to go back to the hotel everyday from 1-4 or 5 for naps and a swim. Sounds dreamy.
- Snacks = mandatory.
- Extra water = also mandatory
- Having a game plan with a map and knowing where to go for the day = essential.


No comments:
Post a Comment