Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hump Day Update!

(Yes, we have our luggage)

We're just getting going on our day here, it's Wednesday morning. We're 9 hours ahead of Pacific time, and 6 from Eastern, so that's why it looks like I'm writing in the middle of the night.

For breakfast today we had the same as every morning: påleg (pronounced paw-leg) with breads and rolls. Påleg means meats and cheeses; I'm so in love with the brunost (brown cheese) that I'll be smuggling some home. I have to say I don't miss my cereal and conventional breakfast. It's fun to try new things.

I'm almost over my jetlag, but have picked up some kind of cold; Nina too. We're doing some low-key activities today so we don't get worse. I'm also planning on wearing socks and not going out with wet hair -- apparently those things matter. :) Tonight we're going over to his brother's house to see his flat and hang out. We're going to see his grandmother on Friday; we brought her a present from the US we hope she likes.

Norway is so very beautiful; I absolutely love it here. It's so scenic and lovely. My only wish is that things weren't so expensive; it has redefined vacation for me in a way. Growing up, vacation was a time to go out to eat and shopping -- especially on our annual trips to Florida. Other trips for different, but our summer vacation was always Florida, and we always lived it up. It's not like I *need* to be spending money or anything, it's lovely to just hang with Nina and Leif and Ole Morten and Mormor as well. It's just different, that's all.

Pete and I went to a baby store yesterday and test drove strollers and looked at car seats and such. The Bugaboo stroller, which we've been looking at in the States, cost about $900 there. Here, it's $1,600 and it's very rare to see one on the streets -- most of the time I see the other, FAR more expensive strollers. And we thought we were insane for considering the $900 one!

We'll post some pictures tonight.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Just a tip on the Bugaboo...I lived in Dallas where everyone had a Bugaboo, and most people quit using them by the time the baby was 18 mos. The seat isn't very deep and toddlers are pretty unfomfortable in there. At least that's my experience.
I went through six (yes, 6!) strollers, before I got it right. A travel system, a cheap jogger, an expensive used jogger, a cheap umbrella, an expensive umbrella, and I don't know what else...maybe five total.
But here's my magic equation (someone else told me this, I dismissed it and they were right)
Step 1: snap n' go for the infant seat (not terribly cute, but SOOO convenient)
Step 2: a mid-range umbrella to use when the baby can sit up. It will fit in your trunk really well.
Step 3: A highend baby jogger. Especially if you like to walk outside.
All three are still cheaper than a Bugaboo.
Okay, that was very opinionated (which I' usually not!), but I'm just saying...

G in Berlin said...

I bought a bugaboo 5 years ago and was using it until a few months ago (on 2nd child, with stand behind for the older). We still have it at my in-laws (because we used to carry two strollers when we went there!) and leave our side-by-side double behind when we go there. It was crap for an infant (I used the car seat with a universal stroller for that-Graco or Kolcraft, I can't remember) for me, but my husband loved to use it with the bugaboo car seat adaptor- I didn't because I was an incompetant at folding it up and snapping the car seat in when the baby was heavy. In Europe, the Bugaboo (or similar) bug wheels are a godsend. I also used a single McLaren Triumph when I had 1 child and needed to use thesubway or buses a lot, because it was light yet sturdy. With a car or mini-van, I wouldn't have bothered. My daughter could use the bugaboo until she was 4 (she's not huge, though.

Heather said...

Thanks for the input on the Bugaboo. Rather than a Pack N Play, a bassinet and all the other stuff, we wanted the Bugaboo (or a similar stroller with a bassinet) so the bassinet would be portable and we could wheel Little Girl around, and get used to sleeping in there so when we travel it's not a major deal. Our place isn't terribly big, but I despise the look of the bassinets alone, so the fact that it happens to be on wheels is very attractive for me. The lovely Kate is letting us borrow hers so we can see if we likey before buying.

G in Berlin said...

My kids would never put up with a bassinet (my very bad luck) so we used the packnplay for a confinement center when at parents, but both of them co-slept with us (Thing1 on my chest while in a bjorn or me in a glider for the first long months). I also found that( after the first few months when she wouldn't sleep in a car- or anywhere) she would sometimes go to sleep in her car seat, and I could transfer her from to either the universal stroller or inside to sleep in the apartment while I actually took a shower. I hope you find the bassinet useful- here in Germany all the kids are in them, they think carseats are unhealthful and children should be flat.

Heather said...

G, agreed on the babies being flat. I'm not a fan of the bucket seat anyway. It's a bitch to carry and I'm more and more rallying against not having one just because everyone says you're "supposed" to have one. We're getting a sling and an Ergo carrier, and I think the Bugaboo -- assuming she doesn't hate it. :)