Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gestational Diabetes

Yes, I have it. It's been a rough 36 hours. I will have to test my blood 5-6 times a day, and I have to completely change the way I eat. As an example, I've been eating Fiber One cereal with a banana and milk every morning for the past year or so. I found out today that it's the very worst thing I can be eating since my glucose levels spike overnight (thanks to hormones). So now I'll be eating natural peanut butter and berries in the morning, hard boiled eggs for a snack, protein and vegetables and milk for lunch, cheese and a piece of fruit for afternoon snack, protein and vegetables for dinner, and another serving of protein (!!) with milk before I go to bed. Absolutely no sugar, sweets or fruit juice. 

Needless to say, I'm a little overwhelmed...

But if I stick to this - and trust me, I will -- Little Girl will come out healthy and normal sized. If I don't, it increases the chances of her being abnormally large, which increases the chances of me having a c-section. 

6 comments:

Mary said...

you can do it. xo

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! What kind of bs tester are you using? The freestyle lets you do alternate sites and requires less blood. Let me know if you need any diabetic support...Love you!!!

Heather said...

Thanks MP!! I know I can!

Kammy -- I figured you could. I held my breath as I walked past the chocolate aisle in the store tonight; it was tough. :)

I'm not sure what BS tester I'm getting -- I'm getting a prescription and am picking it up Tuesday right before my class to learn how to eat.

In the meanwhile, I've watched a bunch of educational videos (via web) that they sent me and am learning what a carb is.

hobbyismyjob said...

A C section is NOT that bad! Not that I've had a baby but I did have a softball sized tumor removed 6 months ago, healed up just fine, not a ton of pain either and just think, no hemroids or too much stretching out..if you catch my drift!

Robin said...

**waving pom-poms**

Heather said...

Thanks Robin!!!