Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lucia has Colic

Nuff said, right? We're going out of our minds over here. It's a nonstop screaming fest.

2 comments:

G in Berlin said...

I left a comment on your other blog as well. Colic- they think that it may be a result of the infant being unable to process incoming sensations (I'm not talking gas here). If so, it can help to have white sound or repetitive and calming classical music (we played one song from The Piano on repeat for 11 months, along with Softly we Sing, a very soothing lullaby CD. We also Bjorn walked DD1 to sleep for months, and then rocked her on my chest in the glider. We also co-slept because she would not sleep without touching me for a year. Even if we were able to move her over, she started by falling asleep on me. We are big proponents of doing whatever lets you sleep in this house, but you need to decide what you are comfortable with. Just know that colic, per se, seems to be a neurological problem that is outgrown.
The thing that helped me most (no joke) was buying earplugs. The crying would reduce me to uncontrollable tears myself and since I had to acrry her I couldn't get away. The earplugs let me realize that there is an autonomic resposnse to infant wails that produces a real adrenal response in adults, and that can actually cause you problems(sweating shaking, fear or flight response, irrational anger when there is nothing that you can do)!
Yes, sometimes it's unfair taht it's really hard.

Jennifer said...

What I did was put small boy in his car seat on top of a running dryer. I discovered it quite by accident. But it worked like a charm for him. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Sorry for you, it is so very frustrating and sad and terrifying and a whole host of emotions. It will pass however.