Monday, November 10, 2008

To My Momma

"Can your mom come back?" the nurse who dressed my wound asked today. Since my incision isn't healing properly, I'm having to drive to the hospital's wound care clinic to have it properly changed three times a week. "I wish," I answered. "I'd love to have her back. She was a god-send."

And she was. My mom arrived when Lucia was just 10 days old and a scrawny little 6 lbs. We picked her up from the airport and one of the first things she said was "She's so tiny!" The next few days we spent trying to get Lucia on a schedule (something ahem, Mom I could still use help with!). I couldn't drive because of the pain medication I was taking, so Mom had to drive me around -- a small feat given that she hates driving and had never driven a Prius. She drove me everywhere; to the store, to the doctor, to the lactation consultant. She made me take naps. She got up with me at 3 a.m. to feed Lucia while I pumped breastmilk. She helped us coordinate medication timings. She helped us figure out dinner. She did bucketloads of laundry. In essence, she helped on all the things I couldn't do. 

People told me that after I had the baby my relationship with my mom would change. And it did. I remember calling her right after Lucia was born and saying, I had no idea you loved me like this. My mom and I have always been close, and while neither of us are perfect, I think having Lucia has indeed changed my perspective of my mom. Thank you for all that you do. 

PS My stepdad, who came for a week, was also tremendously helpful. Grilling up chicken to perfection, taking my car for an oil change and for the estimate for the oopsy fender bashing, etc. Thanks to him too! 

2 comments:

Julie said...

Your mom sound so awesome.

Sadly, my mom did not do any of those things after my babies were born. But, it did change my perspective on her as well. I might not have the same kind of relationship you have with your mom (I wish I did), but I know I was loved. And wow, do I have a new found respect for all the hard work she did raising 4 kids.

I am so sorry that your wound is not healing well. That totally blows.

Kammy said...

Your mom rocks my world too!!! Our family is pretty amazing; I know I have said it a million times but I'm so excited to meet Lucia during Christmas...and if you and Pete need a date night I happen to know a red cross certified babysitter who charges a great family discount ;)