Stroller:
Last time: despite me being completely neurotic and possibly unreasonable about only buying ONE really great stroller, I have since learned that there are in fact, other strollers on the market that are really great. Like the Bob Revolution, for example, which we rented in Disney World. Really, really love that stroller. Was ready to sell our Bugaboo, but then reconsidered because it allows baby to face you. Not just when they're in the car seat attachment thingy, but all da time. I loved loved loved this feature with Lucia because I could yammer on all day to her and maintain eye contact. It makes me look past the other not-so-great features of the Bugaboo, which includes assembly (why two pieces whyyyyyyyy). Let's just say we'll be adding WD-40 to that sucker to make it easier and making sure the tires are full of air.
This time: So we've got the stroller, but we're OK with getting a Bob eventually, especially if we stay in this neighborhood, which is super hilly and once baby is in the regular seat the Bugaboo is a bit unstable on the hills. Yikes.
Car seat:
Last time: Remember this? I refused all efforts to convince me of the necessity of the infant seat. We would carry Lucia in our arms to and from the car each time. Sometimes waking her up, sometimes not. We didn't have to switch car seats when she was 1; she stayed in her original seat from newborn all the way until she was 2.5, which was awesome. Also? Someone told me that babies are better sleepers when they're jostled a bit while sleeping, i.e. the way we did it was great and may have created a good sleepin' kid. I don't know about that for sure, but it was nice to hear anyway.
This time: We borrowed an awesome infant car seat. I had nightmare scenarios play out in my head of me trying to carry baby in my arms and let's say Lucia decides to play hide and seek in the parking garage. Uh no. This way I will have at least one hand free if I need it. I still maintain that babies shouldn't be in the carseat for extended periods of time a day, so I will be using the Bugaboo bassinet for walks. But I did get the connector for the Bugaboo on Craigslist for $20 (instead of new for $45) so when we're out and about those first few weeks running errands, going to the doc, etc. we can use that.
Bassinet:
Last time: Borrowed an awesome fancy bassinet.
This time: Borrowed an awesome fancy bassinet, with a deeper bed area so we may be able to contain little dude for longer than three months old.
Swing/Bouncy seat:
Last time: Bought both on Craigslist. Lucia hated the bouncy seat and absolutely loved the swing, which we sold when she was 7 months old for $5 more than we had paid. High five!
This time: I saw the Mamaroo thing when I first got pregnant, then watched Craigslist closely and noticed there were tons of them on there, which made me wonder how useful they were if peeps were selling them. I talked with my other friends, and they thought it didn't move aggressively enough for a baby, i.e. a swing would be a better bet. But with our space limitations, and after I read the recommendation from this amazing blogger who writes this list of must-have baby stuff (that I trust, it's not all YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS BECAUSE IT'S NEW), and after assessing our space constraints, we chose to get a Mamaroo on Craigslist for $90 (the cost of the swing and bouncy seat combined last time) and figured we can re-sell it and try other options if Baby hates it.
Diapers:
Last time: We'll be using Seventh Generation diapers, thankyouverymuch, because we care about the environment and are conscientious of our environmental footprint. This time: Aw hell no. Those things leak like crazy. We'll be using Pampers at least for the first 6 months. Maybe when he's on solids we'll switch to another brand. Maybe.
Baby Bag:
Last time: the baby bag must coordinate with the nursery decor and must be the best!diaper!bag!ever.
This time: well, it helps I have a fancy diaper bag, bought from a friend who's friend was selling them wholesale for $40. It doesn't match the stroller but who cares. It's rad. But heavy, holds everything, can serve as a purse for me, etc. We also have a Diaper Dude for Pete to carry, since I won't be able to carry much in the first few weeks. I also learned the first time around that I don't want to carry a bag all the time. We registered for an organizer to add to the Bugaboo so we can just throw a few things in the stroller and go. Awesome.
Tracking Baby's Everything
Last time: we were obsessed with the book. OBSESSED. So much so that Pete made hard copy spreadsheets after we ran out of pages. Having Lucia come home from the NICU on a schedule was uh, really helpful (the only positive thing about having her in the NICU). I've read up on some ways to get baby on a schedule and I know tracking things will help us get there.
This time: I'm torn between exploring various apps that will enable both of us (or even a third person, i.e. my mom) to access it, or just buying another one of those books. The book sounds easier, I gotta say.
Not much longer now! Less than 6 weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment