At each of our many errands over the weekend, when we'd be paying for stuff, Lucia would enthusiastically announce to the clerk that they were opening a "market" at her school in her classroom. And sure enough, when we arrived yesterday it was the opening of the market. The parents had loaned a cash register, shopping carts, play fruits and vegetables, etc. to create a market. Super cute.
Until Lucia came home last night and excitedly said, "Guess what I have in my pocket, Mommy?" And she proceeded to tell me she took all of the pretend coins out of the market's cash register.
Um. You did what, kiddo?
So I explained that taking things that weren't hers was not OK. We put the coins by the door last night so we couldn't forget them this morning, and when we arrived I told her teacher that Lucia had something to return to the classroom and to tell her.
The three of us sat and talked about how taking things that weren't hers was not OK. What if everyone took things home from the classroom and the market? She nodded and gave her teacher a big hug afterwards. Then her teacher had her apologize to the kid who owned the cash register.
I tried to tell her I did the same thing when I was 5 or 6, and got in big trouble. Stealing is not OK. I think that experience when I was so young really stuck with me; the other day I bought and ate a larabar at Whole Foods while shopping and shoved the wrapper in my coat. As I was walking to my car with my groceries, I reached in my pocket and discovered I hadn't paid for it. I went back in and paid for it. Hopefully Lucia learned a lesson today that will stick with her as long.
No comments:
Post a Comment