Friday, October 24, 2008

Four weeks old!

Lucia is four weeks old today! How quickly it's gone! We're doing well; experimenting with taking things out of my diet that upset her belly. The latest offender is citrus -- even very small amounts upset her stomach. And chocolate (sadly). Otherwise, she's very happy and content.

We watched The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD this week and both agreed it was life-saving. Literally. It teaches you how to soothe a crying baby, and man does it work! The shushing especially -- apparently it mimics the sound of blood rushing through the placenta. She goes from melting down to instant calm in seconds. Seriously. It's pretty amazing.

Today I'm going to the park with Josh to take the dogs for a walk (and the baby, oh and us too). I'm feeling better every day, though still prone to overdoing it, so I'm headed down for a nap now.

We'll post more pictures on Sunday, her official one-month birthday. Until then...

4 comments:

Robin said...

Yes!!! The shush! I didn't see the DVD, but the book was a lifesaver. I gave mine away and keep forgetting how amazing it was.

Have a nice nap. :)

Amy T. said...

Watched the video this morning and he took an hour and a half nap, in his bassinet! I wasn't a swaddler for naps afaid he'd overheat. But all was good. Actually, the DVD itself put him to sleep! But I think we picked up some good things. The hold is hard because he's getting bigger, but will definitely swaddle more and practice shushing.

Mattias said...

Hej Peter and Heather!

Enjoyed reading your blog a lot. We are going through similar trials and tribulations. Funnily enough we watched the same DVD last night. The shushing definately works wonders. I'm not sold on the tight swaddling....other experts claims it messes up hip development. Cindy is not impressed with my loose swaddlings :)

I'll try to find time to update our blog a bit more. Started out great but haven't had time to update lately.

Hope to see you soon (when we are both out of the initial craziness)

Mattias

hobbyismyjob said...

wow has it already been a month!?? Where does the time go? Before we know it she'll be in preschool!!!