This was the only picture we took today. Sure, she did lots of cute things, but darnit, we're too tired to take any pictures.
Lucia has kept down all of her feedings. They're increasing them by 5 mL every other feeding, and simultaneously decreasing the amount of IV nutrition she gets. Currently she's hooked up to three IV bags, 1 is like baby gatorade, full of electrolytes, another is fats (soybean oil, we found out), and the other is just for basic hydration. As soon as they can take her off the IV, we can bring her home (possibly this weekend -- we're excited but are trying not to get too excited just in case). We're going to try to feed her at the breast tomorrow; cross your fingers for us. The other times we tried this Lucia basically threw a fit. We have a strategy for tomorrow though.
Since I haven't been able to feed her from the breast, I've become a PRO at pumping breastmilk on the go; the NICU has a breastfeeding room and I quietly slip in there just before Lucia's feedings so I can give her fresh breastmilk. I can see why some women don't breastfeed; it's hard to get up every 3 hours to pump or feed. At least with Lucia she's cute; the breastpump = notsomuch. Then again, the breast pump makes for 15 minute sessions, no question. Lucia tends to dawdle a bit when we're feeding her on the bottle. But washing the pump parts at 3 a.m.? I won't miss that.
I've finally learned to keep ahead of the pain with the pain medication. If I don't, it basically steam rolls right over me. I was taking the minimum dosage at the maximum time span, and was basically miserable. I think I have it figured out now though.
My stepsister Kate arrives tomorrow; we can't wait to see her. I asked Pete if he was thankful we had help coming in, he said yes definitely. He has been a CHAMP; driving me everywhere, taking care of absolutely everything without me asking and basically being a super hero. I know he's ready for a break.
4 comments:
Oh my God, that is the sweetest picture EVER. What a precious moment between Dad and baby. So glad things are going well. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
xoxo
Great picture!
Heh, yeah, washing parts in the middle of the night, in the morning, all day. Fun stuff. Hopefully she'll take to the breast. It still wakes you up in the middle of the night, but you trade in the pump cleaning for diaper changes. But those aren't so bad! Hope she goes home soon, but, at least you will have more help as of tomorrow!
A bonding process underway :-)
So great to hear all the wonderful news.
Post a Comment